1925 Florida Open Players
5th from left (with visor) Jim McCleod; to his left, in foreground, Jim Barnes; in center (wearing dark jacket and holding cap), is Roger Wetherel; on his left, Bill Mechorn; next, standing sideways with arms crossed, is Gene Sarazen; to his left, Leo Diegel, the tournament winner; behind Diegel's left shoulder is Johnny Farrell; next in front (in striped sweater) is T. Wood Platt; to his left (in dark pants and bow tie) is Olin Duter; next, on far right (partially cropped off) is George Voight. Burgert Brothers photo dated Feb. 25, 1925.
Architect M. Leo Elliott designed the Temple Terrace Country Club, which was built as the centerpiece of the Mediterranean Revival golf course community in 1922. The property was acquired by Florida College in the late 1930s, and makes up a significant part of its campus today. The image above is a colorized and restored Burgert Brothers photograph of the original structure and golf course.
In 1925, the Temple Terrace Golf and Country Club hosted the first ever Florida Open (billed as the "Greatest Field Of Golfers Ever To Play In Florida"). "Long" Jim Barnes was resident professional at the time, and every major golfer of the day competed in the event except for Bobby Jones.

The golf course, designed by famed Scottish designer Tom Bendelow, was particularly unique in that it meandered through the development so that no two holes would run side-by-side. Golf was an all-day affair, with families following matches on the roads that ran alongside the fairways. Following a day on the links, residents congregated at the country club for their meals. In fact, meals at the country club were such an integral part of the Temple Terrace lifestyle that homes were built with very minimal kitchen facilities or even no kitchen at all!

The Temple Terrace golf course is largely unchanged today, and is eligible for the prestigious National Register of Historic Places. It measures 6,414 yards with a par of 72.

The Club Morocco Casino was a popular nightspot where gambling flourished. Its adjacent Olympic-size swimming pool and the nearby golf course drew internationally -known figures who enhanced the scene with professional performances - drawing thousands of spectators. A 50-car chauffer's garage, for guests of the Temple Terrace Golf and Country Club, had attached lodging for the chauffeurs. This unusual garage did not survive past the 40s.